Wednesday, 8 August 2007

Blackburn In The Rain

Started a film scheme last Saturday in Blackburn, finaced by NW Vision (I am from Liverpool). I've only been to Blackburn twice (the first time was for the interview) and it's pissed it down on both occasions. It all added to the L S Lowry look of the place but I hope it's not a trend as the films have to be shot in the city.

I was taken on as a writer/director, but learnt that it would be either/or and no-one would be both. There are fifteen of us, but only five films will be made. Writing workshops take place in the morning and directing workshops in the afternoon, so some of us are writers only, and the rest are writer/directors (there are no director/directors) and depending on how we do, five will be writers, five directors, and the other five, script editors, or 1st AD's on the other movies - I think. Competitive huh? And complicated.

I am the only one who has come any distance as all the rest are Lancashire locals, but they all seem sound, and a good mix, we are all going to be helping with each others films so we will have to get on, but we really gelled together with the directing set-ups we had to do, and that was just the first day so I don't think it will be a problem.

I've made three short films in the past year and two of those were with film schemes, I know eventually if I'm serious about directing I'm going to have to get into finding a producer and financing and all that, but regional film schemes are a good way of finding your way into it as they provide a lot of support, with equipment, actors, mentoring etc.

Anyway, my back is slowly improving. The prescribed painkillers completely knocked me out at first, but I don't even them notice now, which probably means that I'm completely hooked - for ever. Although at least I can have a piss and wipe me bum without it hurting (too much)

Ah the simple pleasures of life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Backburn will no longer reign' you go yoga or and pill artist as i like to call it, Back pain is my forte or should i say it felt like a grand piano fell on it many keith moons ago, got plenty of stretches that might help. Watch out for dem pain killers they play havoc with the gut a real knife job...